Friday, December 23, 2011

Believe



I watched The Santa Clause this week. It is one of my favorite Christmas movies, and it is the only movie that I can quote in its entirety. My dad bought it for me when it first came out on VHS to keep me entertained while my mom was out shopping the day after Thanksgiving. We ended up setting all of our dining room chairs like reindeer just like Charlie did. The movie holds a special place in my heart.

If you'll recall, the plot revolves around the belief in Santa Claus. At one point the main character (Scott Calvin) and his son (Charlie) are at the North Pole, and Scott points out a polar bear directing traffic. "I see it, but I don't believe it," he says. "Seeing isn't believing; Believing is seeing," says Judy the elf (not to be confused with Judy the server from Denny's). "Kids don't have to see this place to know that's it's here. They just... know."

Of course, The Santa Clause is not the only movie that encourages children of all ages to "Just believe!" in Santa. There's also Miracle on 34th Street and every movie on the Disney or Lifetime channels. While they all seem to have hijacked the sacredness of belief, they do seem to mimic and mirror what a lot of us are thinking this season:

The story of the birth and resurrection of Jesus sounds absurd.

There, I said it.

I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe that man is deeply flawed, unable to save ourselves. I believe that God humbled himself and was born into the world as a helpless, fragile baby so that He could show us how to live, free us from the law, and make a way for me to approach the Most High.

"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:14

I believe.

But I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that every now and then, the absurdity of this story catches me off guard. It all really does sound weird. Unbelievable, even.

"Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel." Isaiah 7:14

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6


"And in the same region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with great fear. And the angel said to them, "Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger." And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased." Luke 2:8

I believe.

Because He did exactly what He said He would do. But in a way we never expected. That's the God I serve.

Not unlike Scott Calvin, I sometimes find myself in the North Pole with the traffic-directing polar bears. I also often find myself taking analogies way too far. What I mean is, I have seen and I have tasted the goodness of the Lord. I've experienced too much of His grace to not believe all that He has said and done.

"Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls." 1 Peter 1:8

Oh, I believe.

"I believe; Help my unbelief!"- Mark 9:24


No comments:

Post a Comment