Tuesday, May 11, 2010

london calling

My friend/roommate/future blogger Emma is moving to London in August. Yes, London is calling her name, and she'll be attending grad school for the next year in one of the coolest cities in the world. Naturally, we decided to throw her a proper Bri-ish-themed surprise party before she hops the pond. And yes, I'm going to use the phonetic spelling of "Bri-ish" throughout the entirety of this post.

The menu was a slight variation on some Bri-ish classics. Fish (sticks) and (potato) chips, scones (slice-and-bake cookies), Bri-ish candy (Cadbury chocolate) and of course... tea (Earl Grey and Milo's). Also, I somehow conned Emma into making some raspberry bars for her own party.

That worked out nicely.



The decor? Really expensive stuff. And the boy from Twilight. The goal was to be as classy as possible. Mission accomplished.

The music? Titanic's soundtrack, which was conveniently on television that night. Nothing says "party" like eating fish sticks while listening to Jack and Rose freeze to death.

I think it's safe to say that this gathering was the bee's knees. We all had a jolly good time, and Emma was gobsmacked that we were able to pull it off. I think it's also safe to say that I just successfully incorporated three Bri-ish sayings in the last two sentences.

Yes, friends. It's true. Jack dies at the end of Titanic. Sorry I gave it away.

I've been dropping a few subtle hints about wanting to come visit in the fall. On an unrelated note: Emma, if you're reading this, have I ever told you how much I love London and air mattresses? Because I do. That was really random. Just wanted to tell you that.

I don't think I could be any happier for my friend and the incredible adventure she is about to embark on. But I'm also trying not to think about the fact that I probably won't see her for a while...


... at least until I come crash her flat.

cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment